Driver License

All first-time issuances of Driver Licenses, CDLs, and Non-driver Identification must be made at an examining post. Any changes to the endorsements of a license, such as those pertaining to vision, vessel privileges, or motorcycle privileges must be made at an examination office.

Motorcycle License:

 The motorcycle skill test is currently not applicable in Alabama; however, a written exam is required to obtain a motorcycle endorsement.

Boating License Information:

Once certification is obtained, you may add your vessel endorsement at the Jacksonville State Troopers Examining Post, or any examination office in the state of Alabama.

Non-Driver Identification Cards:

An individual seeking any license or identification card for the first time in Alabama will need to report to the Examining Post. For information regarding necessary documentation and hours, please call 256-435-7006.

Replacing lost or stolen ID or driver’s license:

If your license is lost, destroyed or becomes illegible, but has not yet expired, you should apply for a duplicate license. You will be asked to furnish acceptable identification from the following list of documents:

** A Social Security Card, a printout from the Social Security Administration, Tax Return with Social Security number, Doctor’s Records with Social Security number, School Records with Social Security number or Medicare or Medicaid card with the number on the card is required PLUS one of the acceptable documents listed below.

  • Certified US birth certificate
  • Current US Passport
  • Alabama identification card
  • Alabama driver license
  • Temporary License or ID
  • Military ID

NOTE: Xerox and FAX copies are not acceptable. You may be required to furnish additional documents to support your claim of identity. Birth certificates must be certified copies only.
**Your social security card alone is not proof of identification. You will be required to show another form of documentation listed above. 

Military Personnel

Military personnel out of state at the time of their renewal may contact the Alabama Department of Public Safety at http://www.dps.state.al.us to download a form to submit a request for an out of state renewal.

Every Alabama resident who operates any motorized vehicle must have a valid drivers license. All applicants whose Alabama license has been expired for over 3 years or out of state license has been expired for at least 1 year must pass the required drivers examination.

To Reclaim Alabama License Or Out Of State Transfers:
Documentation Needed:
(All Documents Must Be Original – NO Photocopies Accepted)

  • Original Certified Birth Certificate or Valid United States Passport(Required)
  • Former State License
  • Social Security Card-Must Reflect Current Name
  • $36.25 License Fee + $5.00 Transfer Fee

For Name Change:

  • Current License
  • Social Security Card – Must Be Updated To Reflect Name Change www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber
  • Marriage License
  • Divorce Papers – Must State You Can Claim Maiden Name
  • Adoption Papers
  • Court Order For Name Change

License Fees:


License Fee

Test Fee

Commercial License – Class A $66.25 $25.00
Commercial License – Class B $56.25 $25.00
Commercial License – Class C $36.25 $25.00
CDL Permit $61.25 $25.00
School Bus Only $61.25
Class D Operator License $36.25 $5.00
Motor Driven Cycle License <150cc $36.25 $5.00
Motorcycle License $36.25 $5.00
Learners License $36.25 $5.00
Duplicate License $31.25
Identification Card $36.25
Vessel License $36.25 $5.00
Non Driver Id (8yrs) $36.25
Non Driver Id (8yrs) Duplicate $31.25
Non Driver Id (Over 62-Lifetime) $5.50
Non Driver Id (Handicapped-Lifetime) $2.00
1 St Duplicate Non Driver Id (Lifetime) $5.50
Subsequent Duplicate Non Driver Id (Lifetime) $5.50

Non-U.S. Citizens

  • A valid foreign passport with an acceptable visa or resident alien card.
  • Social Security number verification* or letter from Social Security stating non-eligibility.
  • Document from the “secondary” list authorizing presence in the U.S. for more than 160 days.
  • $5 test or transfer fee plus cost of license (no checks).

Social Security Verification 

  • Social Security card (original).
  • Certified letter on letterhead from the Social Security Administration stating
  • applicant’s name and number.
  • U.S. military identification card.
  • U.S. military form DD 214.
  • Medicare/Medicaid identification card (if Social Security number is followed by the letter “A”)
  • W-2 tax form.