ID Requirement:
All individuals applying for a marriage license must present TWO forms of ID.
The first must be one of the following: Driver’s license (must be valid; cannot use expired)
State issued ID card (must be valid; cannot use expired)
Passport (must be valid; cannot use expired)
The second must be one of the following:  Certified birth certificate
Foreign birth certificate (must be translated into English
and signed by translator and translator’s signature
must be notarized)

*In addition to two forms of ID, must have a social security card. If you do not have a social security card, an affidavit is required. The affidavit must be notarized


Under 18:
If a person is between the ages of 16 and 18, both parents are required to come in and sign the consent form. Parents must provide a valid driver’s license or valid state issue ID card. According to Alabama code 30-1-4, individuals under the age of 16 may not marry.

Residency Requirement:
You do not have to be a resident of Etowah County or the state of Alabama to obtain a marriage license in Etowah County.

Previous Marriages:
You must provide the date of the last divorce. If you were divorced within the last six months, you will need to show a copy of your divorce decree. According to section 30-2-10 of the Alabama code, there is a sixty day restriction on getting married after a divorce.

Waiting Period:
There is no waiting period in Alabama except after being divorced. There is a sixty day waiting period after the divorce is final.

The fee for a marriage license is $70.00. To be married at the courthouse, the fee for the license, ceremony, and certified copy of the marriage certificate is $108.00.

No blood or medical test is required

Marriage License:
A marriage license obtained in this office is valid for thirty days and can only be used in the State of Alabama.

Any questions about marriages license, please call the probate office at 256-549-5340